Re: [SG16] Alternative approach for LWG3565 "Handling of encodings in localized chrono formatting"

From: Charlie Barto <Charles.Barto_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 21:48:20 +0000
The current resolution is also ... questionable in the case where the string literal encoding isn't UTF-8, although there's nothing we could do in that case that's always right (we could transcode into gb18030, since that's a UTF, but not other pages).

I think the current behavior of C library functions in the case where the locale is non-unicode and they get something they can't represent is to transliterate, which is a very bad default (and also not something I want to have to implement in the standard library, at least not unless it's part of some larger Unicode support facility).

I tentatively support resolving this issue as "never transcode", and if you specify a locale that has a different encoding to what's in your format string you just get mojibake.

Another thing:

If users only use format control characters and other invariant characters in their format-string then the resulting encoding will be whatever the encoding of their parameters are. I expect users to rely on this when using plain std::format, and it seems odd to break that with chrono formatting.

There may be some implementations where the above isn't true, because the format control characters are not invariant across all supported code-pages, but MSVC isn't such an implementation. (as I've previously said the reason we care about the literal encoding in MSVC's implementation is because while the control characters are invariant some of the encodings we support are _not_ self-synchronizing, so the control characters can show up as trailing bytes of multi-byte "shift" sequences).

All this to say that just because the literal string encoding is UTF-8 _does not mean_ the encoding of the output of std::format is expected to _also_ be UTF-8.