Subject: SG16 affirmation of LEWG approval of P2372 (Fixing locale handling in chrono formatters)
From: Tom Honermann (tom_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-13 10:32:29

LEWG approved two polls regarding the direction of D2372R0 at its
2021-05-03 telecon.  Minutes here
<https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21telecons2021/P2372>.

As reflected in the minutes, there was a request for SG16 to affirm
LEWG's direction since prior SG16 polls of LWG3547
<https://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/issue3547> did not indicate consensus
for that direction as indicated in the minutes
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#april-28th-2021> from the
SG16 telecon held 2021-04-28.

SG16 conducted the following poll at our 2021-05-12 telecon (minutes not
yet available) and does indeed affirm LEWG's direction.

*Poll: Forward D2372R1 to LEWG for inclusion in C++23 and with the
intent that it be applied retroactively to C++20.*

Attendance: 8

SF
        SA
5
        2
        1
        0
        0

Consensus: Strong consensus in favour.

Author's position: SF

Note that D2372R1 contains the LEWG requested changes to preserve locale
dependent formatting for ostream formatters.

My perception is that SG16's change in consensus is attributable to two
factors:

 1. New information that arrived after the initial poll.
 2. SG16's original poll targeted C++23 while LEWG's poll target's C++23
    and C++20 as a DR; some concerns had been expressed regarding
    backward compatibility and migration.

Tom.