Re: [SG16] P2295R3 Support for UTF-8 as a portable source file encoding

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 19:49:28 +0300
On Thu, 6 May 2021 at 18:58, Corentin Jabot via SG16
<sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Alisdair: Done!
> Jens: I shuffled things around, hopefully, that helps. I think we want to keep the definition.
>
> Thiago: We achieve 2 things: all compilers will have to support utf8 (including IBMs compiler etc) 2/ they will handle it correctly - rather than randomly insert replacement characters in phase 1 like some currently do.
> The hurdle to "utf8 is the default" is that it is out of scope of the standard 2/existing code 3/automatic detection is problematic. We do not want to force people to use BOM everywhere.

Ha, indeed. We can have as many rainy wishes about utf-8 being the
default, yet some $vendor might say
"Thanks for sharing, but our default on this particular platform on
this particular implementation is EBCDIC. Problem? *trollface*"
And there's not a damn thing that SG16 or WG21 *can* do about that,
and it's entirely non-obvious whether either
*should* be able to do anything about that.