Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Questions for LEWG for P2093R4: Formatted output

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 16:15:32 -0400
I don't think that test really exercises the concern Hubert raised.
Please try this one instead (I don't have a convenient environment to
try this myself). This one should print only the AM/PM designator for
each of the locales. You might also try the "zh_CN" and "zh_HK" locales.

#include <chrono>
#include <format>
#include <iostream>

int main() {
   using namespace std::literals::chrono_literals;
   std::locale::global(std::locale("ja_JP"));
   std::cout << "ja_JP: " << std::format("{:%p}\n",
std::chrono::system_clock::now().time_since_epoch());
std::locale::global(std::locale("ja_JP.utf8"));
   std::cout << "ja_JP.utf8: " << std::format("{:%p}\n",
std::chrono::system_clock::now().time_since_epoch());
}

I can, not surprisingly, produce mojibake on a Linux system when the
locale is set to "zh_CN.gb18030" or "zh_HK.big5hkscs" (correct output is
produced with "zh_CN.utf-8" and "zh_HK.utf-8"; I don't have any Japanese
locales installed).

Tom.