Re: [SG16] SG16 meeting summary for March 24th, 2021

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 21:06:46 +0200
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 8:56 PM Alisdair Meredith via SG16 <
sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> This paper touches, incidentally, wording that is of concern to SG12
> regarding UB.
> To ease communication/concerns, it might be worth pointing out the that UB
> wording
> added to [lex.concat] is not new UB, but merely moving where we document
> the
> existing UB in [lex.phases]p4.
>
> As part of this cleanup, is the UB in [lex.phases]p2 still possible, or
> does the raw
> remaining string reversion no longer have the ability to accidentally form
> a UCN as
> all we are reverting is line-splicing, which implies there must be a
> new-line character
> emdedded in any reversion, which would not enable forming a UCN?

There is still UB. While we don't replace unicode by UCNs in phase 1
anymore, there still may be UCNs spelled in the source.

Removing the UB in lexing is on my radar.
I think there is consensus that the UB should not be there - and that its
purpose (dealing with the observability of different models chosen by C and
C++) is no longer relevant,
although ideally we would have the same behavior in C and we can confer to
SG22.