Re: [SG16] On whitespaces and new-line

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 22:28:51 +0100
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 10:16 PM Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I was looking at White_Space because of the definition: "Spaces, separator
> characters and other control characters which should be treated by
> programming languages as "white space" for the purpose of parsing elements."

Interesting! I missed that
It's funny because I can't find any language doing that :)
I also find it... Interesting. Might be worth asking the unicode mailing
about!

> Programming language text has more in common with general text than it
> does with regex. However, I'm not sure the marginal value of adding
> additional white space characters would really justify the cost. Other than
> stunts like writing a "hello, world" entirely in Ogham, it's probably not
> going to get much use. Making sure than NEL is in the list, so that if
> ebcidic is transcoded it remains valid, and doesn't need some variety of
> dos2unix run on it, probably covers all the real world use cases?
>
> RTL modifiers in code certainly don't seem like wonderful things. Has
> anyone checked what clang or gcc does now?

Clang doesn't support more than what the standard specifies, although they
do have a table of unicode whitespaces
for the purpose of filtering them out in ucns

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/62ec4ac90738a5f2d209ed28c822223e58aaaeb7/clang/include/clang/Basic/CharInfo.h#L70
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/blob/main/clang/lib/Lex/UnicodeCharSets.h#L401