Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Questions for LEWG for P1885: Naming Text Encodings to Demystify Them

From: Jeff Garland <jeff_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 04:51:15 -0700
> On Feb 7, 2021, at 12:47 AM, Tom Honermann via Lib-Ext <lib-ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

IANA is already referenced in the bibliography and the chrono sections of the standard in relation to the time zone interface. There’s no versions or stability there either — just a link. Howard can probably clarify, but pretty sure all that was intentional to avoid instability in the c++ spec — that is stay out of the quagmire or ever changing time zone data.

The difference I see is that P1885, as currently drafted, basically pulls in ’the list of encodings' from IANA, where chrono completely dodges doing anything of the sort. Not sure there’s a way to achieve the goals of P1885 without that, but it’s clearly more dependent than chrono.

Jeff