Subject: Re: [ WG14 ] Mixed Wide String Literals
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-08 05:11:52

On 07/12/2020 22:56, Tom Honermann via SG16 wrote:

> IBM does maintain representation in WG21 (and I thought in WG14 as
> well).  There are also ports of Clang to EBCDIC systems now as well.

They have robust representation on WG14. Indeed, they are the primary
cause for saying no to any proposed insubstantial change. This is very
frustrating to anyone proposing anything non-trivial, but the IBM rep is
a very good engineer, very technically able, and he has a strong opinion
that C ought to not change by much, ever.

IBM remains keen on EBCDIC, and they defend it on WG14 zealously. I'd
say everybody else on WG14 would prefer if it went away, but in the end
if a particular implementor really wants to support it, there aren't
good reasons for removing it.

Niall