Re: [SG16] P2194R0 The character set of C++ source code is Unicode

From: Alisdair Meredith <alisdairm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 15:44:29 -0400
Got another good corner case for you!

In the template form of user defined literals, the template parameter pack
is instiated with characters corresponding to the source text, currently
mapping non-basic characters to UCNs, so that the template parser can
assume all characters are members of the basic source character set:

See [lex.ext] 5.13.8p3/4

By no longer mapping to UCNs, we break any UDL parsers that work with
UCNs today. I don’t know how many there are in production, possibly zero,
but it is a risk to address, and provide an entry in compatibility Annex C.

I am currently searching the standard for the phrase “source character” and
trying to make sense of the difference between “source character set” and
“basic source character set”. The former seems to refer to some mythical
thing that exists prior to conversion to UCNs, but applies to text being
processed /after/ UCNification, where it is not clear that is makes a real
distinction at that point.

Good examples are the h-char and q-char sequences for header names.
The current text just looks broken for header names outside the basic
source character set, as the text we actually parse is post-UCNification,
but it is also conditionally supported behavior to have a ‘\’ character in such
a char-sequence, indicating that post-UCNified text is problematic.

I believe this paper will be more than the light treatment you seem to expect,
but it will shake out and fix a few dusty corners giving us a more robust spec
as part of the process - and that would be another feature of the proposal
that I could get behind!

AlisdairM