Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] Updated draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 00:02:51 -0400
On 7/8/20 1:54 PM, Tom Honermann wrote:
> On 7/8/20 6:43 AM, Alisdair Meredith wrote:
>> Minor nit: I dislike normatively stating that a null character is
>> appended after string concatenation in two places. I do like
>> the addition of this directly to the phase 6 wording, so suggest
>> that the original in [lex.string]p12 with its extra flowery language
>> be demoted to a note.
> That seems reasonable to me, I'll do so.

After looking at this again, I elected to go in a different direction.

[lex.phases] describes at a high level what is to be done in each phase
and more-or-less defers to other sections for elaboration. From this
lens, changing the normative text in [lex.string] into a note felt like
the wrong direction. Instead, I chose to update the wording in
[lex.string] to read a little nicer and to omit the flowery language. I
then updated [lex.phases] to be less precise and to explicitly direct
the reader to [lex.string] for details. I hope this acceptably satisfies
the (very reasonable) concern about the previous normative duplication.

This paper has now been submitted for the upcoming mailing and can be
found at https://isocpp.org/files/papers/P2029R2.html. The previous
links to the draft will no longer work.

Tom.