Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] Updated draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 13:54:17 -0400
On 7/8/20 6:43 AM, Alisdair Meredith wrote:
> Minor nit: I dislike normatively stating that a null character is
> appended after string concatenation in two places. I do like
> the addition of this directly to the phase 6 wording, so suggest
> that the original in [lex.string]p12 with its extra flowery language
> be demoted to a note.
That seems reasonable to me, I'll do so.

> In the normative text, AFAICT, in C++20 wide multi character
> literals must be supported, with an implementation-defined value,
> but after this paper they will be conditionally supported. I don’t
> see that design change addressed in the front matter. Same
> applies to non-encodable wide characters .

That is addressed in the "Proposed resolution overview" section. I can
add a statement about this to the introduction if you like.

I've been under the impression that the lack of conditionally-supported
for these is an oversight. My understanding (and someone please correct
me if I'm mistaken; I don't recall where I was informed of this) is
that, in the C standard, implementation-defined includes an allowance
for rejecting the code as ill-formed, but in the C++ standard,
implementation-defined implies well-formed; hence the addition of
conditionally-supported. If that understanding is correct, then the
updated wording corrects alignment with the intent of the C standard.

> (I thought this also applied to ordinary multi character literals,
> but it turns out they are already conditionally supported.)

Yup, in [lex.ccon]p1 <http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.ccon#1.sentence-4>.

Tom.