Re: [SG16] Concatenating unicode string literals

From: Alisdair Meredith <alisdairm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 14:33:57 +0100
A little historical context, in case you feel like adding it to the paper, and
I had already researched the paper trail!

Concatenating narrow and wide string literals was made defined behavior
for C++11 by Clark Nelson’s paper synchronizing with the C99 preprocessor:
    http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1653.htm
adopted at the Mont Tremblant 2005 meeting (paper trail on this one is
tricky!)

The conditionally supported implementation-defined behavior for concatenating
unicode and wide string literals was a feature of the original proposal for unicode
characer types:
   http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2249.html
adopted at the Oxford 2007 meeting.

The final rule to make u8 literals ill-formed when attempting to concatenate with
a wide string literal was in the original paper proposing u8 literals:
   http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2442.htm
adopted at the Kona 2007 meetings.

All these changes occurred in the development of C++11.

AlisdairM