Subject: UK national body concerns about P1885R1 'Naming Text Encodings to Demystify Them'
From: Peter Brett (pbrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-24 03:26:08

Hi Corentin and SG16,

We discussed P1885R1 briefly in the British Standards Institute meeting yesterday.

We support the general direction of the paper and agree that it seeks to solve a real problem. We support further work.

We have significant concerns about the proposal to rely on the IANA registry and RFC2978/RFC3808 process, including a normative reference to the Character Sets database. The Character Sets database is not an International Standard and is maintained by a process that appears to provide neither the quality assurance nor the checks and balances built into the ISO process.

Best regards,

                           Peter

SG16 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com