Re: [SG16] Bike shedding for Christmas: P1885 Naming Text Encodings

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 09:55:52 -0300
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 18:21:32 -03 Tom Honermann via SG16 wrote:
> 2. Allow first class extension by, for example, reserving the full
> range of IANA MIB values, defining a "private use" range of values,
> and modifying the text_encoding(const char*) constructor to also
> accept a MIB value (and perhaps make the name parameter optional
> such that, if specified, it would override the internally known name
> for the provided MIB value and if not specified, name() would return
> a suitable default).

Our experience is that libraries often provide incomplete character mapping
even for standardised encodings. The foremost example is UTF-7, which is still
used reasonably often in email-related contexts (I believe IMAP uses it for
naming folders), which KMail and its supporting libraries have had to supply
above the Qt offering for two decades.

Qt offering includes iconv or ICU, depending on the build, since 2006.