Re: [SG16-Unicode] Unicode streams

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 16:03:17 -0400
On 10/19/19 12:53 PM, Victor Zverovich wrote:
> STATICALLY-WIDEN is not a hack, it's just a convenient pseudo-function
> that simplifies and formalizes a bunch of wording originated from
> p0355. In case of chrono it will work identically for Unicode and the
> only reason we didn't mention charX_t is that neither std::format nor
> iostreams support those. As Corentin wrote you could provide formatter
> specializations including for Unicode types and once we have charX_t
> overloads of std::format (I plan to propose these for C++23) it will
> just pick up those specialization. In your case STATICALLY-WIDEN won't
> help because you have different representation of units for different
> character types.

I think STATICALLY-WIDEN will work for his use case as he intends to
provide distinct partial specializations for char, wchar_t, and
charN_t. Basically, Mat needs a STATICALLY-WIDEN-UTF variant that takes
a string literal of some kind (presumably UTF-8) and "widens" it to
UTF-16 or UTF-32. Note the char partial specialization below (that I
think should not be parameterized on CharT, just Traits).

What isn't clear to me is how implementors will implement
STATICALLY-WIDEN. Victor, do you know what techniques implementors are
expected to employ?

Tom.