Re: [SG16-Unicode] subscribing to the mailing without being a TIES member

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 15:27:42 -0400
On 10/1/19 3:20 PM, Corentin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Here is the address of the subscription page
> http://www.open-std.org/mailman/listinfo/unicode
>
> Were you able to post to it without being subscribed?
He was. Our mailing list is open, but emails from non-subscribers are
moderated (I approved this posting).

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019, 9:17 PM Andrew Marlow <marlow.agents_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:marlow.agents_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> Hello,

Hi, Andrew! Please do feel free to subscribe at the link Corentin
provided above.

> After watching a unicode presentation by Peter Bindels at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNIqThaSs8 I want to subscribe to
> the mailing list please. Peter gave this email address at the end
> of his talk. I tried the SG16 mailing list web page at
> https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/studygroups/2017-2020/16/Pages/ifa-structure.aspx
> and it says one needs to be a member of TIES for which there is a
> subscription charge. This confirmed in the FAQ. So my question is,
> *why*. In Peter's talk it looked like anyone could join in, so why
> the restriction? I look forward to hearing the rationale please.

That SG16 is unrelated to the WG21 SG16 study group that this mailing
list exists for.

Our organizational web page is https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16.
This page includes links for our Slack channel and meeting information.

Tom.