[SG16-Unicode] subscribing to the mailing without being a TIES member

From: Andrew Marlow <marlow.agents_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 17:35:48 +0100
Hello,

After watching a unicode presentation by Peter Bindels at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNIqThaSs8 I want to subscribe to the
mailing list please. Peter gave this email address at the end of his talk.
I tried the SG16 mailing list web page at
https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/studygroups/2017-2020/16/Pages/ifa-structure.aspx
and it says one needs to be a member of TIES for which there is a
subscription charge. This confirmed in the FAQ. So my question is, *why*.
In Peter's talk it looked like anyone could join in, so why the
restriction? I look forward to hearing the rationale please.

--
Regards,
Andrew Marlow