Re: [SG16-Unicode] P1689: Encoding of filenames for interchange

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 21:03:19 -0700
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 16:40:00 PDT Lyberta wrote:
> I want to rewind discussion a little bit and talk about one of original
>
> assumptions:
> > 2) networking is not in scope. Distributed builds are considered an
>
> extension
>
> > of the local system, so they don't count as networking. Distributed build
> > tools need to emulate the file system of the originator.
>
> I don't think this is correct. Distributed builds do exist so there may
> be file system change between systems. I think we need to clarify the
> use case.

My point in this assumption was that it's up to the distribution system to
suitably emulate the originator's filesystem so that the result from the build
is exactly what would have been produced if it had been compiled locally. This
is important, for example, for debug symbols, which *do* encode file paths.
We'd have serious trouble if debugging into a function found the corresponding
source depending on the network congestion at the time that the build
happened.

How that happens is out of scope.

And if this can't be properly and reliably emulated, then either the
distributed buildsystem will stop being used or this feature will face serious
issues.