Re: [SG16-Unicode] P1689: Encoding of filenames for interchange

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 20:57:28 -0700
On Thursday, 5 September 2019 10:53:54 PDT Tom Honermann wrote:
> > Future modern i/o in C++ may support byte-multiple filenames on Windows.
> > For example, UTF-8, with a direct unreencoded path between userspace and
> > the filing system. No need to hardcode the assumption that all of
> > Windows will always be wchar_t based forever if unnecessary. Indeed,
> > given the ever closer integration of the Linux and Windows kernels,
> > efficiency would demand that much more of the NT kernel works natively
> > in UTF-8, which it is designed to do just fine.
>
> I agree with this. This is why I support a handle approach rather than
> a byte based approach.

I was very clear in the subject of the email: filenames for interchange. I
knew the discussion of handles would come about.

You can't store a handle in a file, not in any OS I am familiar with.

This discussion is how one process communicates to another the name of a file.
By necessity, this can't use a handle, which would uniquely identify the file.
This also means it's subject to all of the race condition attacks and issues
with views of filesystem.