Re: [SG16-Unicode] BOM in JSON (was: Re: SG16 meeting summary for July 31st, 2019)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 08:16:26 +0300
For formats that, for legacy reasons, support multiple encodings, the
benefit is that iäthe BOM unambiguously signals UTF-8. For UTF-8-only
formats, the benefit of not treating the BOM as an error is to allow
authoring with tools designed for the kind of formats where the BOM
actually signals UTF-8 relative to other possibilities.