Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 08:42:35 -0400
On 8/15/19 8:35 AM, Steve Downey wrote:
> I think it's clear now that we don't have an answer to Tom's question
> in the title. And that the standard's language is both vague and
> archaic in this area.
> I think, before we make observable behavior changes, it would be
> worthwhile to respecify [lex] using more modern language, particularly
> distinguishing codepoints and encodings, and avoiding 'character', as
> being misleading.
>
> As observed in [filesystem] unsigned and signed char do not have
> associated encodings. Moving that forward into the front matter might
> be useful. As well as providing a (better) name for presumed
> narrow/wide character execution encoding and a better name for current
> default locale associated narrow/wide character encoding.
>
> I'm willing to take a stab at it.

Excellent, me too. I put this on the agenda for the next SG16 telecon
(on August 21st), but I strongly suspect we won't get to it as the first
item on the agenda for that meeting is web_view and I think it will take
most of our time. So let's plan to have a draft (even if just a list of
potential replacement terms and general strategy for parts of the
standard to be updated) for the following telecon (September 4th or
11th). We can collaborate offline in the mean time.

Tom.