Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: keld_at <keld_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:29:29 +0200
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:56:46PM +0200, Corentin wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 11:35 PM <keld_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > default
> > time
> > > >

> > > The standard assumes there is one. It has to. You cannot not have an
> > > encoding.
> > > (Of course it is broken but it's a very old assumption).
> >
> > that encoding is then probably the same as the compile time encoding.
> >

> You have no control over that no ne does. The compiler will select an
> encoding for literals. Then this literals might be interpreted by ie
> iostream using an encoding derived from the system locale ( :s) either they
> are the same or they are not, in which case in.
>
> the compiler cannot know what the encoding of the execution will be and the
> information of what encoding the compiler chose it's not stored.

you are probably right - at least some compilers would behave like this.

> > > Also there is no such thing as a Danish encoding or a Japanese encoding.
> > > There is a Danish locale and an encoding attached to that locale (utf8,
> > iso
> > > 8859). The standard doesn't always makes the distinction - it should)
> >
> > wel, there ae danish encodings and japanese encodings - multiple encodings
> > suitable
> > for danish or japanese, and the specific encoding is as you wrote
> > attached to the locale
> >

> Let say you have a neighbor called bjørn.
> Is "I am going to see bjørn" not English?
> Restricting a language to a limited character set is not matching the
> reality. Ergo the idea that a given character set is suitable for a locale
> is a bit bogus. Encodings are attached to a character set. And non-Unicode
> systems tend to conflate everything. Doesn't make it sensible !

well, restricting the code to a limited character set like iso-8859-15
can remove some problems with having strange characters, and remove security issues
like greek or cyrillic letters in identifiers. iso-8859-1 has served me well for many years.

> > > But yeah, all of that precludes people to have non ASCII in there source
> > as
> > > this is currently the only thing that will work portably.
> >
> > well we worked hard for c++ to have portable source code with non-ascii
> > characters,
> > and I believe we succeeded
> >

> I guess you never used windows?

I have not done much programming on window systems. I sometimes lived on administering them.
What are the problems wrt to this?

> > > This is not inherent to C++ which is one reason other languages converged
> > > to utf8 as the default/only encoding.
> > > (The primary reason being the Unicode character set is actually useful to
> > > store text)
> >

> > we did come up with solutions that were non-unicode - unicode is not
> > always useful,
> > I cannot read chinese nor arabic, but I can use symbolic characters in a
> > portable way and ensure
> > they are correct and portable, eg. author's names. And we made it happen
> > for many SC22 programming
> > languages, via work in SC22/WG20
> >

> Arabic and Chinese alone totally over 1.6 billions people.

yes at least. what I say is that I can maintain code with characters that I cannot read - nor write -
or even display, with the mechanisms that we have for portable i18n code in the c++ std-

keld