Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:56:46 +0200
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 11:35 PM <keld_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:49:09PM +0200, Corentin wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 10:34 PM <keld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > > For most programs there is no default execution character set nor
> default
> > > execution encoding. A binary program is designed to run with the run
> time
> > > execution character set of the locale it runs with. So the same binary
> > > ??ogram can run with a Japanese encoding or a Danish enoding or arabic
> > > encoding.
> > > There is no knowledge at compilation time what encoding will be used at
> > > run time
> > >

> > The standard assumes there is one. It has to. You cannot not have an
> > encoding.
> > (Of course it is broken but it's a very old assumption).
>
> that encoding is then probably the same as the compile time encoding.

You have no control over that no ne does. The compiler will select an
encoding for literals. Then this literals might be interpreted by ie
iostream using an encoding derived from the system locale ( :s) either they
are the same or they are not, in which case in.

the compiler cannot know what the encoding of the execution will be and the
information of what encoding the compiler chose it's not stored.

> > Also there is no such thing as a Danish encoding or a Japanese encoding.
> > There is a Danish locale and an encoding attached to that locale (utf8,
> iso
> > 8859). The standard doesn't always makes the distinction - it should)
>
> wel, there ae danish encodings and japanese encodings - multiple encodings
> suitable
> for danish or japanese, and the specific encoding is as you wrote
> attached to the locale

Let say you have a neighbor called bjørn.
Is "I am going to see bjørn" not English?
Restricting a language to a limited character set is not matching the
reality. Ergo the idea that a given character set is suitable for a locale
is a bit bogus. Encodings are attached to a character set. And non-Unicode
systems tend to conflate everything. Doesn't make it sensible !

> > But yeah, all of that precludes people to have non ASCII in there source
> as
> > this is currently the only thing that will work portably.
>
> well we worked hard for c++ to have portable source code with non-ascii
> characters,
> and I believe we succeeded

I guess you never used windows?

> > This is not inherent to C++ which is one reason other languages converged
> > to utf8 as the default/only encoding.
> > (The primary reason being the Unicode character set is actually useful to
> > store text)
>

> we did come up with solutions that were non-unicode - unicode is not
> always useful,
> I cannot read chinese nor arabic, but I can use symbolic characters in a
> portable way and ensure
> they are correct and portable, eg. author's names. And we made it happen
> for many SC22 programming
> languages, via work in SC22/WG20

Arabic and Chinese alone totally over 1.6 billions people.