Re: [SG16-Unicode] Draft SG16 direction paper

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:21:27 -0400
On 10/07/2018 06:32 PM, Victor Zverovich wrote:
> > Existing programs depend on the ability to dynamically change the
> execution encoding (within reason) in order for a server process to
> concurrently serve multiple clients with different locale settings.
>
> This seems like a very weird use case because it effectively limits
> server to processing requests on one thread, since as mentioned
> elsewhere in the document per-thread locale setting is still in the
> proposal phase. Do you have any examples? In my experience changing
> locale dynamically more often than not breaks programs' expectations.

I don't have specific examples to share. Code that does this pretty
much has to rely on extensions like POSIX uselocale() and Microsoft's
_configthreadlocale() since, as you note, taking a lock to ensure global
locale settings stay consistent effectively single threads requests. A
quick code search of github for these functions has lots of hits, but
many are duplicate hits (if there is a way to get github to better
suppress similar hits, I'd be curious to know how to do that).

I agree that dynamically changing locale is rarely a good thing to do.
It can be ok as part of program startup, but afterwards is asking for
trouble - same as changing other global state like current working
directory. I just mentioned it because, despite likely being a bad
idea, there is existing code that does it.

Tom.