Re: [SG16-Unicode] SG16 Unicode related questions for Swift and WebKit representatives

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 22:14:29 -0400
On 08/03/2018 12:53 PM, Michael Ilseman wrote:

>> On Aug 2, 2018, at 10:26 PM, Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
>> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Michael and Dave! I appreciate the time and detail. All
>> of your answers look to confirm our expectations, so I interpret this
>> as a good sign we're thinking about the right things.
>>
>> I added a few inline comments/clarifications below.
>>
>> We had tentatively planned to meet Wednesday of next week, but it
>> turns out that two of our core SG16 members are going to be on
>> vacation so, at a minimum, I'd like to postpone. I'm also feeling
>> pretty content with the responses that we got from you and I think it
>> would suffice for us to just follow up with any remaining thoughts
>> via email. While I'd love for any of you to attend one (or more) of
>> our meetings (any time), I want to be sensitive to productive use of
>> your time. So, how about we play it by ear for now?
>>

> I’d be happy to meet up sometime. JF mentioned an in-person meeting
> sometime this fall. Feel free to grab me whenever you think I can add
> value.

>>> Michael has done very well here; I only have a few things to add.

>>> I'd say the biggest downside is that there are users who simply
>>> refuse to accept what we consider to be the fundamental
>>> non-random-access character of any efficient string representation.
>>> They are upset that they can't index a string directly with an
>>> integer, and can't be talked out of it. I still think we made the
>>> right decision in this regard; you'd have the same problem if your
>>> strings were unicode-scalar-based.
>>
>> Are there common scenarios where programmers tend to be frustrated by
>> lack of random access? Perhaps most often when they are working with
>> inputs known to be ASCII only? Or is this mostly an education issue
>> and these programmers are having a difficult time accepting that
>> they've spent most of their career thus far writing bugs? :)
>>

> A lot of it is shaped by expectations coming from other languages,
> whose programming models do not prioritize operating on Unicode scalar
> values, let alone grapheme clusters. Objective-C’s default interface
> with Strings is random-access to UTF-16 code units, which “works”
> right up until you encounter an emoji or other scalar not on the BMP.
> It also “works” for graphemes right up until you encounter emoji or a
> language you didn’t test or a non-NFC-normalized contents in a
> language you did test.
>
> This gets compounded by the prevalence of strings in teaching,
> interviews, programming puzzles, etc., where a string is treated like
> an array with a more visual representation.
>
> Also note that even for fully ASCII strings we cannot provide random
> access to grapheme clusters, as “\r\n” is a single grapheme cluster.
> For pretty much every Unicode-correct operation we provide fast-paths
> for, there’s nasty corner cases that complicates the model.

Thanks, I had not considered the "\r\n" case. Alas, there are no easy
cases.

>>> We are not aware of generic algorithms that rely on concatenation of
>>> collections conserving element counts, so we decided to simply
>>> document this quirk rather than saying that string is-not-a collection.
>>
>> SG16 has previously discussed cases like this and I'm happy to hear
>> you haven't had to do anything special for it. This is a good
>> example of why we asked about inappropriate use of the String count
>> property: programmers assuming s1.count + s2.count ==
>> s1.append(s2).count.

>> Cool, it sounds like the answer to any such regressions was 1)
>> optimization in terms of fast-paths, and 2) fall back to code
>> unit/point processing otherwise.

>>> I think you're interested in (at least optionally) using ICU unless
>>> you have evidence of major investment in another open-source
>>> implementation of Unicode algorithms and tables. Otherwise, C++
>>> implementors could not afford to develop standard libraries.
>>
>> Yes, definitely. For the foreseeable future, I think we need to
>> ensure that any interfaces we propose can be reasonably implemented
>> using ICU. However, Zach Laine has made impressive progress
>> implementing many of the Unicode algorithms without use of ICU in his
>> proposed Boost.Text library. See https://github.com/tzlaine/text and
>> https://tzlaine.github.io/text/doc/html/index.html.

>> Ok, my take away from this is that fast-pathing has been sufficient
>> for lazy normalization (when needed) to not be (much of) a
>> performance concern. At least, not enough to want to take the
>> normalization cost on every string construction up front.

>> This is very helpful, thank you. We've suspected that full collation
>> (with or without tailoring) would be too expensive for use as a
>> default comparison operator, so it is good to hear that confirmed.
>>
>> I'm curious why this was a larger performance issue for Linux than
>> for (presumably) macOS and/or iOS.
>>

> There were two main factors. The first is that on Darwin platforms,
> CFString had an implementation that we used instead of UCA+DUCET which
> was faster. The second is that Darwin platforms are typically
> up-to-date and have very recent versions of ICU. On Linux, we still
> support Ubuntu LTS 14.04 which has a version of ICU which predates
> Swift and didn’t have any fast-paths for ASCII or mostly-ASCII text.
>
> Switching to our own implementation based on NFC gave us many X
> improvement over CFString, which in turn was many X faster than
> UCA+DUCET (especially on older versions of ICU).

Thanks. My take away is that implementation quality matters; those fast
paths are important.

>>> One thing to consider is that as long as String is not
>>> random-access, count will be a worst-case O(N) operation. An
>>> inappropriate usage might involve computing the length once per loop
>>> iteration.
>>
>> In addition to the above and prior mention of algebraic concerns,
>> other potential abuses we had in mind were using it to determine
>> field widths for display or code unit/point based storage.
>>

> Display width is a whole other concern accounting for rendering
> environment, font, etc. I don’t have expertise here.
>
>> C++ container requirements specify that .size() be O(1). For us to
>> meet container requirements would require computing and caching the
>> count during construction and mutation operations. We could
>> potentially get by just meeting range requirements though.

>>> Well, it was. And then in Swift 2 or 3 it wasn't, due to the
>>> algebraic reasoning issue. Now it is again.

>> Ah, nice. All kinds of fun to be had with that :)

>> Got it. Increasing the size of the C++ standard library is a
>> definite concern for us as well. We imagine some C++ users would be
>> similarly unhappy if their standard library suddenly required linking
>> against ICU.
>>

> If you go the route of implementing Unicode operations without ICU,
> would it be possible to separately link against Unicode support
> without also pulling in all of libc++? If your implementation is
> lighter-weight, yet current, it would be very appealing for Swift to
> consider switching over.

It would be up to the implementation to determine how it is packaged,
but I suspect there will be sufficient motivation for separating out the
heavier parts. Whether those heavier parts could then be used
separately from the rest of the library I can't say. I think this is
something for us to keep in mind as a design point though.

Tom.