I don't want to veer into SG20 territory, but I think we should avoid such blanket statements, especially in academic / learning settings or about students themselves. Situations are diverse here as they are with C++ users in general.

It is indeed important to use build systems, and using C++ at scale assuredly involves them, but if we want newcomers to use C++ and understand what they are doing, we definitely want it to be possible to write small C++ programs and compile them easily through the command line. Among other things, as René Ferdinand reminded us, it helps students understand more complex tools better.

I'm not convinced standardizing module extensions is really an issue, but let's keep this in mind. It's important that C++ remains usable (if only for learners) as is, with a terminal and a compiler (and yes, they should learn to use build systems, but both are important).

Le sam. 16 avr. 2022 à 14:41, Daniel Ruoso via SG15 <sg15@lists.isocpp.org> a écrit :
I, personally, think it's time to get over the expectation that it's realistic to use c++ without a build system.

Especially in teaching context, we should prepare folks to the real world, which necessarily involves a build system, instead of creating this anachronistic requirements.

Daniel

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022, 14:30 Gabriel Dos Reis via SG15 <sg15@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

Thanks, Daniela.

  • So Nico, what is it what you are looking for?

I’ve come to the same conclusion after being (privately) abused by Nico – yes, I answered him on many occasions (including in-person in Prague).  My hope is that the wider audience is able to help suss out the actual technical problem that has a solution that scales beyond nice slide presentations.

-- Gaby