Hi all, my notes of the call, I will integrate with Steffan's notes. Thank you Steffan for chairing.
Happy holidays everyone, thanks for calling in and sorry for the Great Fire wall messing up my sound. I am getting these notes out by tethering to my western cell phone.

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM Michael Wong <fraggamuffin@gmail.com> wrote:
HI all, here is the updated agenda. Thanks Staffan for agreeing to chair in my possible absence.

Topic: SG14 Low Latency Monthly
Hi,

Michael Wong is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: SG14 monthly Dec 2019-Mar 2020
Time: Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Every month on the Second Wed, until Mar 11, 2020, 4 occurrence(s)
    Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM
    Jan 8, 2020 02:00 PM
    Feb 12, 2020 02:00 PM
    Mar 11, 2020 02:00 PM
    Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
    Monthly: https://iso.zoom.us/meeting/uZ0ofuytpzovTphUEzR9_79rSWAWZDRUxQ/ics?icsToken=98tyKu2hqzIvH92UtVztAqkvA5X5buHulEVeopZ4hi28PHcKcDDBF9V4FoBKCOmB

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://iso.zoom.us/j/495955915

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16699006833,,495955915#  or +14086380968,,495955915#
Or Telephone:
    Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
        US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968  or +1 646 876 9923  or 877 853 5247 (Toll Free) or 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 495 955 915
    International numbers available: https://iso.zoom.us/u/abhaIjFKLZ

Or Skype for Business (Lync):
    https://iso.zoom.us/skype/495955915

 

Agenda:

1. Opening and introductions

1.1 Roll call of participants

Michael Wong, Connon Horman, Dan Raviv, Guy Davidson, Inbal Levi, Billy Baker, John MacFarlane, Matthew Butler,  Max Gardner, Mark Hoemmen, Neil Horlock, Paul Bendixen, Rene Rivera, Ronen Friedman, Steffan TJ, Paul Preney, Eduardo Costa, CHarles Bay

1.2 Adopt agenda

Yes

1.3 Approve minutes from previous meeting, and approve publishing
 previously approved minutes to ISOCPP.org

1.4 Action items from previous meetings

2. Main issues (125 min)

2.1 General logistics

recap C++ 20  meeting

Mailing deadline is Jan 13
report on Numerics - P1889, or P1890 safety
concerns from BSI on missing rationales from the indvidual papers from the  omnibus papers
Discussion on need for rationale in TS
AI: MW to ask if rationale should be kept in general

Linear Albegbra progressing
take traits in syntax paper and theer would be an engine call blas
assume yo ualso add mathematical optimzations
yes blas wrapper has existng optimized library that is in C or tuned by chip vendors
mdspan is the iterator idiom for matrices, it i s multidimentional iterator


Neil asked QUB has a question about associative Legendre polynomials and as it is different then unassociative versions, would we need to feed that proposal through SG14, 6?
Suggest SG6 and SG19 as this is related to differential calculus
Suggest posting question to SG19

 

2.2 Paper reviews

P1436R2 Executor properties for affinity-based execution Gordon Brown Gordon Brown, Ruyman Reyes, Michael Wong, H. Carter Edwards, Thomas Rodgers, Mark Hoemmen P1436R2   60 minutes    
P1795r1 System topology discovery for heterogeneous & distributed computing Gordon Brown Gordon Brown, Ruyman Reyes, Michael Wong, Mark Hoemmen, Jeff Hammond, Tom Scogland, Domagoj Šarić P1795R1   60 minutes    

2.2.5 any other proposal for reviews?


2.3 Domain-specific discussions


I would like to ask each Domain chair to consider the following so we can put out a call for proposal:

1. What are the features in recent C++ since SG14 formation (C++17,20) that are useful in your domain?

2. What features you would like to pursue in SG14 for your domain? For example, for embeded : inplace containers, intrusive pointers, fixed sized containers


2.3.1 SIG chairs

   - Embedded Programming chairs: Ben Craig, Wouter van Ooijen and Odin
   Holmes, John McFarlane


Freestanding : a implementation is available to try out by Paul Bendixen in a GCC branch
https://gitlab.com/avr-libstdcxx
The docker image showshow to build it, the gcc project is a fork of the official gcc with changes in the p0829-XXX branches
On freestanding, a comment. I don't know if this is already a proposal or being talked about, but is there a reason why exceptions are required for freestanding? because freestanding is already in the standard, and it has exceptions,
P0829 has an implementation, this is the library, which adds things
The other proposal is for language and proposes remove things but is still controversial

Contracts for safety

   - Financial/Trading chairs: Stephan TJ, Carl Cooke, Neal Horlock,
   Mateusz Pusz, Clay Trychta,

 likely unlikely by Clay is in C++20
affinity and topology discovery
Neil: pipelines
intrusive
inplace
and fixed sized containers

   - Games chairs: Rene Riviera, Guy Davidson and Paul Hampson

memory management for Games for C++17 from Brent Freedman
P00040
flat map by ach Laine
ptf colony by Matthew Bentley
ring buffer by Guy P0059, fell off at Rapperswil, concerned about single producer/single consumer, policy decisions, and whetehr it should be concurrent, Dan Raviv, and Matthew BUtler coudl help
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2017/p0059r4.pdf
Mark asked would std::destroy_at etc. change the whole pop traits thing?

Rene: more control over the compilation and operation of C++. I have the member layout control (competing) paper, for example.
threading/executors related controls is high. Anything to improve debugging capabilities and experience. Better performing containers.
 

   - Linear Algebra chairs: Bob Steagall, Mark Hoemmen, Guy Davidson


Propose to start a reflector discussion
Does executors serve our domains
exceptions is still a hot issue



2.4 Other Papers and proposals

2.5 Future F2F meetings:

2.6 future C++ Standard meetings:
https://isocpp.org/std/meetings-and-participation/upcoming-meetings

   - *2019-11-04 to 09: Belfast, Northern Ireland;* Archer Yates
   -
   - 2020-02-10 to 15: Prague, Czech Republic

- 2020-06-01 to 06: Bulgaria
- 2020-11: (New York, tentative)
- 2021-02-22 to 27: Kona, HI, USA

3. Any other business
Reflector
https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14
As well as look through papers marked "SG14" in recent standards committee
paper mailings:
http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/
http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/

Code and proposal Staging area
https://github.com/WG21-SG14/SG14
4. Review

4.1 Review and approve resolutions and issues [e.g., changes to SG's
working draft]

4.2 Review action items (5 min)

5. Closing process

5.1 Establish next agenda

5.2 Future meeting

    Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM
    Jan 8, 2020 02:00 PM: Jan 13 is mailing deadline
    Feb 12, 2020 02:00 PM
    Mar 11, 2020 02:00 PM

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 9:26 AM Tjernstrom, Staffan via SG14 <sg14@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

It varies by how much we have to cover, but we generally allow for two hours.

 

From: SG14 [mailto:sg14-bounces@lists.isocpp.org] On Behalf Of connor horman via SG14
Sent: Wednesday, 11 December, 2019 08:45
To: sg14@lists.isocpp.org
Cc: connor horman <chorman64@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SG14] Dec 11 SG14 monthly call

 

Just a question, but how long will the meeting likely take?

 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 08:42 Michael Wong via SG14 <sg14@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

All are welcome. Because I am behind the great fire wall this week, my connection could be weak or drop. If so then Stefan TJ will chair. Thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone


On Dec 11, 2019, at 8:40 PM, Dan Raviv <dan.raviv@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I'm also planning to join the meeting for the first time.

 

Thanks!

Dan

 

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 9:48 AM Michael Wong via SG14 <sg14@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:

Hi Conor, welcome to the list. this is an outreach group and anyone can join. THanks.

Sent from my iPad

> On Dec 11, 2019, at 10:35 AM, connor horman via SG14 <sg14@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
>
> Any limitations on who can join? I'm new to the list, and would like
> to learn how things are done, and listening to a meeting like this
> seems like it would help with that.
>
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 at 21:13, Michael Wong via SG14
> <sg14@lists.isocpp.org> wrote:
>>
>> Topic: SG14 Low Latency Monthly
>> Hi,
>>
>> Michael Wong is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
>>
>> Topic: SG14 monthly Dec 2019-Mar 2020
>> Time: Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
>>    Every month on the Second Wed, until Mar 11, 2020, 4 occurrence(s)
>>    Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM
>>    Jan 8, 2020 02:00 PM
>>    Feb 12, 2020 02:00 PM
>>    Mar 11, 2020 02:00 PM
>>    Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
>>    Monthly: https://iso.zoom.us/meeting/uZ0ofuytpzovTphUEzR9_79rSWAWZDRUxQ/ics?icsToken=98tyKu2hqzIvH92UtVztAqkvA5X5buHulEVeopZ4hi28PHcKcDDBF9V4FoBKCOmB
>>
>> Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://iso.zoom.us/j/495955915
>>
>> Or iPhone one-tap :
>>    US: +16699006833,,495955915#  or +14086380968,,495955915#
>> Or Telephone:
>>    Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
>>        US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968  or +1 646 876 9923  or 877 853 5247 (Toll Free) or 877 369 0926 (Toll Free)
>>    Meeting ID: 495 955 915
>>    International numbers available: https://iso.zoom.us/u/abhaIjFKLZ
>>
>> Or Skype for Business (Lync):
>>    https://iso.zoom.us/skype/495955915
>>
>>
>>
>> Agenda:
>>
>> 1. Opening and introductions
>>
>> 1.1 Roll call of participants
>>
>> 1.2 Adopt agenda
>>
>> 1.3 Approve minutes from previous meeting, and approve publishing
>> previously approved minutes to ISOCPP.org
>>
>> 1.4 Action items from previous meetings
>>
>> 2. Main issues (125 min)
>>
>> 2.1 General logistics
>>
>> recap C++ 20  meeting
>>
>>
>>
>> 2.2 Paper reviews
>>
>>
>> 2.2.5 any other proposal for reviews?
>>
>> 2.3 Domain-specific discussions
>>
>> 2.3.1 SIG chairs
>>
>>   - Embedded Programming chairs: Ben Craig, Wouter van Ooijen and Odin
>>   Holmes, John McFarlane
>>   <http://wiki.edg.com/bin/edit/Wg21belfast/McFarlane?topicparent=Wg21belfast.SG14CPPCON2019-09-17;nowysiwyg=1>
>>   - Financial/Trading chairs: Stephan TJ, Carl Cooke, Neal Horlock,
>>   Mateusz Pusz, Clay Trychta,
>>   - Games chairs: Rene Riviera, Guy Davidson and Paul Hampson
>>   - Linear Algebra chairs: Bob Steagall, Mark Hoemmen, Guy Davidson
>>
>> 2.4 Other Papers and proposals
>>
>> 2.5 Future F2F meetings:
>>
>> 2.6 future C++ Standard meetings:
>> https://isocpp.org/std/meetings-and-participation/upcoming-meetings
>>
>>   - *2019-11-04 to 09: Belfast, Northern Ireland;* Archer Yates
>>   -
>>   - 2020-02-10 to 15: Prague, Czech Republic
>>
>> - 2020-06-01 to 06: Bulgaria
>> - 2020-11: (New York, tentative)
>> - 2021-02-22 to 27: Kona, HI, USA
>>
>> 3. Any other business
>> Reflector
>> https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14
>> As well as look through papers marked "SG14" in recent standards committee
>> paper mailings:
>> http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/
>> http://open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/
>>
>> Code and proposal Staging area
>> https://github.com/WG21-SG14/SG14
>> 4. Review
>>
>> 4.1 Review and approve resolutions and issues [e.g., changes to SG's
>> working draft]
>>
>> 4.2 Review action items (5 min)
>>
>> 5. Closing process
>>
>> 5.1 Establish next agenda
>>
>> 5.2 Future meeting
>>
>>    Dec 11, 2019 02:00 PM
>>    Jan 8, 2020 02:00 PM: Jan 13 is mailing deadline
>>    Feb 12, 2020 02:00 PM
>>    Mar 11, 2020 02:00 PM
>> _______________________________________________
>> SG14 mailing list
>> SG14@lists.isocpp.org
>> https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14
> _______________________________________________
> SG14 mailing list
> SG14@lists.isocpp.org
> https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14
_______________________________________________
SG14 mailing list
SG14@lists.isocpp.org
https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14

_______________________________________________
SG14 mailing list
SG14@lists.isocpp.org
https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14




IMPORTANT: The information contained in this email and/or its attachments is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by reply and immediately delete this message and all its attachments. Any review, use, reproduction, disclosure or dissemination of this message or any attachment by an unintended recipient is strictly prohibited. Neither this message nor any attachment is intended as or should be construed as an offer, solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. Neither the sender, his or her employer nor any of their respective affiliates makes any warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of any of the information contained herein or that this message or any of its attachments is free of viruses.
_______________________________________________
SG14 mailing list
SG14@lists.isocpp.org
https://lists.isocpp.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/sg14