Re: Interesting idea for non-throwing std::function

From: Jonathan Wakely <cxx_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:44:23 +0100
On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 at 12:47, Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > Changing the condition for using the buffer affects ABI.
>
> Only in the very narrow sense that having two slightly different versions
> of `function` floating around the source code technically violates the ODR.
> This was just a change in the condition under which *the constructor puts*
> a T into the buffer; once the T is in the buffer (or allocated on the
> heap), everything is still done through the same set of type-erased
> operations as before. A program might end up with one `function` holding a
> `Widget` in its buffer, and another `function` holding a `Widget` on the
> heap, but since the fact that they're even `Widget`s at all has been
> type-erased, that's actually totally fine.

I'm not familiar with the libc++ implementation, but for the libstdc++ one
it wouldn't work. The internals of std::function are a class template
instantiated with the type of the stored callable, and so whether it's
stored locally or not is a property of the specialization. If you change
the definition of the specialization, it's a real "this mangled name has
different behaviour now" ABI-breaking ODR violation.

It looks like libc++ decides whether the object is stored locally by
comparing a pointer to its own buffer, so once that's set in the ctor, any
code looking at the object will know where the callable is stored. I wonder
if I can safely migrate libstdc++ to something like that.

> *But*, the question is also moot, because I decided to do what you said
> below anyway (keep the SBO condition the same, relax the noexceptness of
> the constructor). :)
>
> > You can just make the noexcept-specifier false for this case instead. It
> would use the buffer,
> > but doing so might throw. So constructing the std::function can throw.
>
> I did this now. The down side, of course, is that this makes the questions
> "Does this Widget fit in the small buffer?" and
> "is_nothrow_convertible_v<Widget, function>?" give different answers,

Yes but only for types with non-throwing copies and throwing moves ... are
those types realistic?