Re: Properties of HFT compared to other low-latency use cases

From: Wesley Maness <wesley.maness_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2022 15:17:30 -0400
Timur,

I can comment some on the low latency space, but these are my observations
and again it always depends and may differ from others work experience. I
can't comment on HFT, that's a space I have not worked in.

Time scales: We care about nano and micro seconds. Usually nano
(10s-100s) for market data flows and micro (100s to 1000 or so) for order
and execution flow. Typically we measure these 1, 2 standard deviations.
 So you can say something to the effect of we can process this sell-side
equity order request at 1micro 95 percent of the time.

Nature of the deadline and what happens if it's not met - that depends.
But typically in this space you can measure and define something called
alpha-decay or the rate at which you will lose your potential PnL as a
function of time reacting to an event. So if you have a sharp alpha decay
and you hit a fat tail outlier you can and potentially will take a hit on
your PnL.

Topology - in our systems typically means a single thread pinned and with
isolation. This thread is busy and events are purely market driven so not
regular intervals. Externally driven.

Input/output - in our systems this is really just reading and writing into
either shared memory or a memory mapped file. Typically using simple
custom data structures using atomics where required. Many of the atomic
usages are using specific memory ordering where appropriate.

Concurrency - atomics as mentioned above.

Hope that helps, next time I run into you, maybe Kona happy to dig deeper.

Thanks,
Wes

Wesley C. Maness
347-387-7162