Re: [SG14] brief container selection guide

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 11:07:11 +1300
Hi William,

so just to clarify, this isn't a prototype for any kind of technology,
or switching mechanism, or anything like that.

As stated it's a guide for people trying to clarify which container they
should be using based on performance characteristics (based on usage).

It's not limited to the standard library, which is why plf:: and absl::
and tsl:: containers are included (as they are better for certain
scenarios).

It's well-acknowledged that for example the std::unordered_map
specification prevents optimal implementation for most scenarios, which
is why the absl:: equivalents are used.

Thanks for the input regarding the non-static nature of non-std::
libraries though, that is a good point. But it's also a point in their
favour, as non-std:: libraries can more easily adapt to changing
architecture, should architecture change significantly enough that the
specification needs to change to maintain performance - which has
happened over the past 20 years. Whereas std:: libraries can't - by
definition, once defined, unalterable. Pros and cons there.

Thanks,
M@