Re: [SG14] sizeof_block_metadata function, colony/hive, advice wanted

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 16:51:37 +1300
ps. As draft ideas for why this function may be useful, consider the
following scenarios:

1. The user knows their initial amount of elements is very small, say 4
elements, and will likely remain small, but could potentially grow into
hundreds of elements given the right scenario.

They want to specify a low minimum block capacity to avoid creating too
much excess memory waste for the default scenario. But how much memory
is the metadata using for that capacity? If it's higher than the memory
used by the number of elements, they might want to consider increasing
the minimum block capacity, as otherwise when the container expands they
may end up with more wasted memory from those initial small blocks
rather than less.

Inspecting potential block metadata memory usage for different minimum
capacities in this context could lead to smarter decisions here.

2. The user is doing a lot of random erasures over time, on a large
number of elements, which may lead to a large amount of wasted space (in
hive/colony) if the blocks are very large. Their inclination is to make
the blocks smaller, as they are not doing a lot of iteration over the
container so having larger blocks and hence greater iterative locality
doesn't affect performance much. Whereas if they make the blocks smaller
they are more likely to become empty and then can be freed to the OS.
But the smaller the blocks are, the smaller the ratio of element data to
block metadata becomes.

If they know the approximate number of elements they're working with,
and the approximate erasure rates, using the function in question they
can algorithmically decide which maximum block size will result in the
lowest memory usage overall during execution.

I guess the same stuff could potentially be done with a profiler, but
that requires more work.