Re: [SG14] std::colony name brainstorming

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:10:08 +1300
On 9/02/2021 6:43 am, Ben Craig wrote:
> The paper talks a lot about the name colony, and that the name “bag”
> isn’t a good fit. I want to see if we can have other good names (or
> name pieces) get discussed on the mailing list.

I'll be brief - most of the replies here (with some notable exceptions)
do not have an understanding of the structure of colony. I suggest
everyone read the Intro and Design Decisions sections of the paper
before commenting further.

All std:: containers have named based around their
structure/what-they-do (more-or-less the same thing - the structure
enables their functionality), in either concrete (list) or abstract
(map) or conceptual (vector, set) terms. Colony does this as a name, the
ones suggested so far do not. Lots of containers are stable, btw.

List: a list of items that are independently allocated and linked to one
another.
Map: an analogy of using a map to find items
Vector: a conceptual analogy of a line that extends in one direction,
with a velocity and potentially an acceleration (growth factor)
Set: a conceptual analogy of the mathematical concept of a set
Colony: an analogy using the idea of houses as memory blocks, rooms as
empty element memory spaces where elements come-and-go from. Ant colony
works just as well with tunnels, rooms and ants.
*shrug*

A rose by any other name, would still obviate the necessity to form
branch decisions at every iteration, hence clogging up the pipeline- as
Shakespeare is rumoured to have stated in one of the outtake versions of
his many soliloquies.

I don't see the point in discussion, unless theres a general concensus
that colony is a bad name, not from some abstract or subjective
aesthetic perspective, but from the sense that it doesn't adequately
describe the container, from those who actually understand how the
container functions.