Re: [SG14] Question re: colony and new SIMD-related function

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 10:13:09 +1200
On 2/08/2019 9:58 PM, Niall Douglas via SG14 wrote:
> On 01/08/2019 22:50, Matt Bentley via SG14 wrote:
> I'll be blunt here.
>
> I remain very unconvinced that any of the alt-containers which have
> landed before WG21 in recent years are worth the committee time. I even
> don't think Abseil's or Folly's containers are worth the committee time,
> for the cost-benefits they supply.
>
> I would observe that a lot of what committee folk do nowadays in their
> day jobs is write custom containers for bespoke use cases - indeed, just
> last week I wrote yet another open addressed hash table.

I get what you mean btw? From my perspective though, the SG14 containers
aren't to replace custom-made solutions - they're for the many, many
programmers who don't care about nth-degree performance but are trying
to get code working, and end up re-implementing the wheel in very
suboptimal ways. For example, there's a lot of cases I get anecdotes
about where people need stable pointers so they end up using std::list
or std::map - neither of which are good for that purpose alone.

Colony fills that gap, and also the gap where people are implementing a
form of bucket array in suboptimal ways, for example, using a bool as
part of a struct to signify erasure.