Re: [SG14] Question re: colony and new SIMD-related function

From: Matt Bentley <mattreecebentley_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 09:50:02 +1200
Thanks Staffan & Niall,
my understanding is that gather-scatter has greatly improved in AVX512
skylake and onwards, see the following links for details:
https://i.stack.imgur.com/s4OOt.png
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21774454/how-are-the-gather-instructions-in-avx2-implemented

but I take your point that Actual benefits may be minuscule depending on
application area.

In terms of my query, I guess the main point is:
If SIMD processing of elements is worthwhile in a given use-case, do you
think it's worth exposing colony internals so that the programmer can
create a gather-mask by parallel-processing the internal skipfields,
or do you think it's going to be just as well-performing for the
programmer to construct the mask in serial via iterating over the colony
as per usual?