Re: [SG14] [EXTERNAL] Re: Linear algebra library proposal

From: Hoemmen, Mark <mhoemme_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 15:24:28 +0000
Greetings!

  1. Think of the library as a C++ BLAS binding. I highly recommend reading the “design discussion and justification” document.
  2. Please don’t feel like we don’t care about your use case if we left something out : - ) . We left out a lot of things that we would personally find very useful; the documents explain why.
  3. Are you thinking of vectors / matrices of quaternions / octonions? Our functions have very few restrictions on matrix or vector element types, but we would need a design review by an expert in quaternions / octonions to ensure that the definitions make sense when multiplication is not commutative. Would you like to be the expert for us? : - )
  4. In general, if there is some modest way in which the design could be changed to accommodate quaternions and octonions, please let us know. (We won’t provide those types in this proposal, but we don’t want to impose unnecessary restrictions.)

Thanks!
mfh

There is no mention of affine matrices or quaternions/octonions. Are those being left out?