Re: C++ GUI Standard Library

From: Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash <brycelelbach_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 17:15:29 -0800
> Herb has advised that my first step should be to write a proposal.

I think that's the wrong first step. Please don't write a paper yet;
participate first.

I would instead recommend you start attending C++ committee meetings (in
this, specifically, Library Evolution) not as a proposal author, but as a
participant and reviewer. That will help you learn about our process and
the constraints we have to work with.

Proposal authors who do not take the time to first participate in the
committee are often disappointed, because they have expectations that do
not align with the rest of the group.

> I also do not trust the current library and language evolution committees
to be competent or even willing to learn about understanding why having
basic human-interface tooling available by default is crucial for the
long-term evolution of such a language (note that such competency is
nécessary to achieve the goals set by the committee itself, so in my eyes
it's all contradictory behavior).

I think it's hard to pass judgement on the library and language evolution
committee without first participating in these groups. I'd encourage you
both to do so.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 4:11 PM William Linkmeyer via SG13 <
sg13_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Keep in mind, we’re talking about a standard without networking support.
>
> This sounds like a good thing for the Boost libraries, though.
>
> WL
>
> On Feb 3, 2023, at 1:40 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte via SG13 <
> sg13_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

> If this is not appropriate, please accept my sincere apology and ignore
> that paragraph.
>
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 at 19:27, Nevin Liber via SG13 <sg13_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 12:12 PM Klaim - Joël Lamotte via SG13 <
>> sg13_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> I also do not trust the current library and language evolution
>>> committees to be competent or even willing to learn about understanding why
>>> having basic human-interface tooling available by default is crucial for
>>> the long-term evolution of such a language (note that such competency is
>>> nécessary to achieve the goals set by the committee itself, so in my eyes
>>> it's all contradictory behavior).
>>>

>> IMO, this is not appropriate.
>> --
>> Nevin ":-)" Liber <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]
>> <nevin_at_[hidden]>> +1-847-691-1404
>> --

Bryce Adelstein Lelbach aka wash (he/him/his)
US Programming Language Standards Chair
ISO C++ Library Evolution Chair
Principal Architect @ NVIDIA