Re: [SG13] Split color into separate proposal

From: Tony V E <tvaneerd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 18:23:36 -0400
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 6:03 PM Lyberta via SG13 <sg13_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Tony V E:
> > I would separate color from pixel. There are many pixel types, less
> color types - we could maybe stick with one color. Such as CIE XYZ for
> example.
> It looks like most (all?) color spaces introduce themselves using CIE
> XYZ, how universal is it?

Depends what you mean by "univseral". CIE XYZ (1931) was built using a
"Standard Observer" model, from tests on 17 people, and by "people" they
mean "young white males". So it doesn't really represent the "standard
observer".

But the idea is the same - you need some common ground to define any other
colour system from. CIE is the best we have. As you noted, all the other
systems base themselves on it.
If you want to fall into the bottomless rabbit hole, start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_1931_color_space

P.S. this isn't just academic - I can colour-match two projectors (I work
at Christie Digital, we make projectors), but what looks colour-matched to
one person might not look so to another. We really do all see colours
differently.

--
Be seeing you,
Tony