Safety and Security Review Group

From: Ryan McDougall <mcdougall.ryan_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 10:51:38 -0800
It's been a year since SSRG was announced and celebrating an anniversary is
a good time to reflect on what has been accomplished. Starting a new
endeavour during a pandemic will never be auspicious, and indeed many of us
have very understandably not had our utmost to offer in terms of time and
energy. I'm deeply empathetic of the difficulty to remain productive and
engaged in such time, as the problem affects me just like everyone else.

While SSRG started off with 12 members, over this past year we have had a
number of members drop from the group, and our attendance for the joint
telecon with SG16 (Review P2528R0/N2916 (Identifier Security using Unicode
Standard Annex 39)) was only 5 members. With our anniversary passed, I
would like to make a general call for new members to replace those who have
become inactive for any reason.

Qualifications:
1. Should have experience in software systems that require critical
reliability, specifically having safety or security implications.
2. Should have experience or willingness to work with C++ standardization

Purpose:
1. To advise C++ standardization committee about the safety or security
implications of designs or proposals brought before the review group

Non-purpose:
1. To design or create proposals for C++ features to be submitted for
standardization. There are already other Study Groups for that purpose.

Time commitment depends on demand, but can roughly be approximated as:
1. Sign up for a mailing list, and offer thoughtful opinions on discussions
therein
2. Attend approximately two telecons per year when feasible.

Experience with C++ is less important than experience in safety or
security, and willingness to participate effectively is more important than
a deep level of experience (the best people often undervalue their own
experience). Please let me know if you have further questions or want to
learn more about how to participate.

Sincerely,