Re: [SG12] p1315 secure_clear

From: Tony V E <tvaneerd_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 09:13:54 -0400
So we could start with a function: volatile_clear(void *ptr, int size),
that does volatile writes of 0 into the memory.
We can specify this today, using volatile.
We can name it without using "secure".

Is this a worthwhile step?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 8:47 AM Miguel Ojeda via SG12 <sg12_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 2:10 AM Arthur O'Dwyer
> <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's very important to point out that what "secure_clear" is
> trying to do is an opposite, much harder problem: it's asking for a
> mechanism to ensure that some operations are never performed.
>
> No, the proposal is not trying to do that. Please do not read more
> into the placeholder name "secure_clear" than what is actually being
> proposed.
>
> There are many possible names we can take (see the paper for some
> examples). The current one is just close to SecureZeroMemory from
> Microsoft.
>
> Cheers,
> Miguel

Be seeing you,