Subject: Re: [isocpp-lib-ext] (draft) The simple truth about references
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-07 06:43:41

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 10:19 AM Corentin via Lib-Ext <
lib-ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The vector<bool> argument is a red herring.

Why? A template with subtlety different behavior based upon what it gets
instantiated with is the problem with vector<bool> (and possibly span<T,
size_t(-1)>, although that remains to be seen).

> optional<T&> does not have to be a full specialization.

Why does it have to be spelled o-p-t-i-o-n-a-l?

> When the committee decided to disable reference for optional it should
> have send red flags that the design was maybe unsound.

IIRC, it was decided because the original paper authors were trying to get
optional put into the standard and wanted to avoid the controversial topic
of references. I don't see why that should have sent red flags about
unsound design.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden] <nevin_at_[hidden]>>
+1-847-691-1404

SG12 list run by herb.sutter at gmail.com