[ub] memory-object model update

From: Peter Sewell <Peter.Sewell_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 09:46:30 +0000
Hi all,

FYI, following the useful discussion we had in Cologne, WG14 discussed
memory object model issues again in its recent Ithaca meeting. They too
seem to have a consensus to go with what appeared to the the UB group's
preferred model: provenance not via integers, with integer-to-pointer
casts limited to "address exposed" values, and allowing roundtrip casts of
one-past values. They would, however, like to see more concrete
implementation experience before actually adopting the model. Any thoughts
(or offers!) on how best to establish that would be great.

WG14 also talked about subobject provenance, where WG14 had quite mixed
views for several examples.

We weren't able to get to this week's meeting, unfortunately, and have
otherwise been mostly preoccupied with other things, but we'll be going
back to subobject models.

best,
Peter