Re: [ub] bit_cast and indeterminate values

From: Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 18:48:18 -0700
On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 5:46 PM Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 2019, at 6:51 PM, Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 2:22 PM Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> As currently specified, bit_cast from an indeterminate value produces an
>> unspecified value rather than an indeterminate value. That means this can't
>> be implemented by a simple load on some implementations, and instead will
>> require some kind of removing-the-taint-of-an-uninitialized-value operation
>> to be performed. (A similar concern applies to reading from padding bits.)
>>
>> Is that the intent?
>>

> I chatted with JF about this. The intent is as follows:
>
> * bits of the input that don't have defined values result in the
> corresponding bit of the output being "bad"
> * if any part of a scalar object is "bad", that object has an
> indeterminate value
>
> Some examples:
>

> struct A { char c; /* char padding : 8; */ short s; };
> struct B { char x[4]; };
>
> B one() {
> A a = {1, 2};
> return std::bit_cast<B>(a);
> }
>
> In one(), the second byte of the object representation of a is bad. That
> means that the second byte of the produced B object is bad, so x[1] in the
> produced B object is an indeterminate value. The above function, if
> declared constexpr, would be usable in constant expressions so long as you
> don't look at one().x[1].
>

> A two() {
> B b;
> b.x[0] = 'a';
> b.x[2] = 1;
> b.x[3] = 2;
> return std::bit_cast<A>(b);
> }
>
> In two(), the second byte of the object representation of b is bad. But a
> bit_cast to A doesn't care because it never looks at that byte. The above
> function returns an A with a fully-defined value. If declared constexpr, it
> would produce a normal, fully-initialized value.
>

> int three() {
> int n;
> return std::bit_cast<int>(n);
> }
>
> In three(), the entirety of n is bad. A bit_cast from it produces an int
> whose value is indeterminate. And because we have an expression of
> non-byte-like type that produced an indeterminate value, the behavior is
> undefined.
>

> Hmmm, isn’t it the lvalue-to-rvalue conversion that provokes the UB? I am
> asking a question regarding the actual cause of the UB.

This doesn't naturally fall out of the wording, because std::bit_cast takes
an lvalue and returns an rvalue, and is specified in terms of poking at an
object representation directly without formally performing an
lvalue-to-rvalue conversion or hitting the [basic.indet] cases where the
undefined value is "observed".

And I think that's actually in some ways a good thing: it shouldn't matter
if some part of the input to bit_cast is uninitialized so long as the
destination type has only padding in the uninitialized region.