Re: [ub] P1407R0: Tell Programmers About Signed Integer Overflow Behavior

From: John McFarlane <john_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 09:37:37 +0000
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 at 08:51 Myria <myriachan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> This document doesn't mention another possible behavior of signed
> overflow: saturation. Saturation arithmetic supposedly is what many DSPs
> do on overflow, but I wouldn't know.
>
> I call the three cases of when there is implementation-defined behavior as
> "snap", "trap" and "wrap" for the alliteration. I suppose the "can't
> happen" / undefined case could be "crap". =^-^=
>

> I just noticed a problem in the document's example: fixed-size types.
> This is problematic because of integer promotion. Imagine a system in
> which "int" were 64 bits. Then this code:
>
> auto const ret = a + 100u;
>
> would actually generate a result of type "const unsigned int", which is 64
> bits on such a platform. Then the overflow check does not work, and the
> result won't saturate as intended.
>
> This clouds the actual issue you're trying to get at. Using simply "int"
> and "unsigned int" for the example solves the problem.
>

> Another example of how using fixed-sized types can cloud issues due to
> promotion:
>
> std::uint16_t x = 65535u;
> x *= x; // undefined behavior on most of today's platforms because of
> promotion to signed int
>
> Melissa
>
> Can I take this opportunity to recommend that we consider library
solutions to our numerics problems? There are mature, widely used
class-based literal types out there which tackle such problems. (And yes,
they support wrap, trap, snap and crap.) We could put a lot more effort
into exploring their standardization.

We've been pretty successful in recognizing the problems with raw pointers
and finding both language and library solutions. Is it time to turn our
attention to raw integers and ask how our smart integer types might look?

John