Re: [ub] memcpy blessing a new object of statically unknown type

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 01:44:22 +0000
Fully agreed!

-------- Original message --------
From: Patrice Roy <patricer_at_[hidden]>
Date: 1/9/2016 5:36 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: WG21 UB study group <ub_at_[hidden]>
Subject: Re: [ub] memcpy blessing a new object of statically unknown type

I know it is. I just hope it stays hidden deep where those who know about it are... essentially those who read this mailing list :)

My assumption has always been that std::launder is a zero-overhead abstraction (really a no-op at the machine level) whole sole purpose is to inform the static semantics elaborator about the lifetime and type of a given storage. I hope we aren’t considering anything more complicated than that.

-- Gaby