Re: [ub] type punning through congruent base class?

From: Herb Sutter <hsutter_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 22:56:12 +0000
> Note that this post from Herb arrived after http://www.open-std.org/pipermail/ub/2014-January/000418.html but was sent before, so the thread got a little mixed up.

Yes, I've been trying to reply less on this thread until that sync'ed back up. :)

From what I've learned in this thread, the (rough) intended C++ model for PODs (assuming memory of the right size/alignment) would seem to be "the lifetime of a B starts when you write to the memory as a B, and ends when you free the memory or write to the memory as different type." [Disclaimer: I'm not sure if "read from the memory as a B" also starts lifetime."]

I think we can do better, but it seems like that's the (rough) intent of the status quo, leaving aside the question of whether the wording actually says that.

*If* that is the (rough) intent, then in:

  void *p = malloc(sizeof(B)); // 1
  B* pb = (B*)p; // 2
  pb->i = 0; // 3
  short* ps = (short*)p; // 4
  *ps = 0; // 5
  free(p); // 6

I assume that the reasoning would be that:

  * line 3 starts the lifetime of a B (we're writing to the bits of a B member, not just any int)
  * line 5 ends the lifetime of that B and begins the lifetime of a short
  * line 6 ends the lifetime of that short

Again ignoring whether this is desirable, is that (roughly) the intent of the current wording?

If yes, does the wording express it (a) accurately and (b) clearly?

Finally, regardless of the above answer, do we want to change anything about the legality or semantics of the above type-punning code, such as possibly having a "type-safe mode" where such code is somehow not allowed unless in an "extern "C-compat"" block or something?

Herb