Re: [ub] type punning through congruent base class?

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:48:59 +0100
On 01/16/2014 09:17 PM, Herb Sutter wrote:

>>> Agreed. I would expect line 4 to be at least unspecified behavior and
>>> probably undefined behavior.
>
> OK, let me back this off to just "I would expect that in this code no lifetime of any object has begun."

So, a subsequent read of "pb->x" would then be undefined behavior
according to 3.8p5 bullet 2?

This seems to break C compatibility, since the code above (after replacing
the static_cast) certainly works as expected in C.

I have no objections to someone rewriting 3.8 basic.life to suit feelings
about the intuitive meaning of "lifetime", but let's please have a holistic
approach in a paper.

Jens