Re: [ub] type punning through congruent base class?

From: Richard Smith <richardsmith_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:51:55 -0800
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Herb Sutter <hsutter_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I would expect that that we would have consensus that the lifetime of an
> object of type D *should* start at some point in this code (and more
> specifically that the code has defined behavior):
>

> B *p = (B*)malloc(sizeof(B));
>
> p->i = 0;
>

> (blink) D is not even mentioned, so why would we expect that? Can you
> explain?

Sorry, editing error, I meant 'B' here.

> If the standard said the lifetime of a D object started somewhere here, I
> would wonder if there’s a defect in the lifetime wording. That would seem
> to violate sensible notions of type safety.

Playing devil's advocate again: it would be entirely unobservable whether
an object of type 'B' or 'D' actually had its lifetime start here. Why
would you be surprised if you got a 'D' instead of a 'B'? Indeed, if later
I wrote:

D *q = (D*)p; // ha ha, it was a D object the whole time!
int n = q->i;

... why should that /not/ work? How is this any different from if I cast to
D* before I used the object as a B?