Re: [ub] Aliasing char16_t with int_least16_t, etc.

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 19:24:27 -0800
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Lawrence Crowl <Lawrence_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Even further, we consider saying that we can access any integral type
> with the same size and alignment.

And a further generalization would be to say that we can alias any
layout-compatible types, and then broaden "layout-compatible" to cover
the integral cases we care about. Layout-compatible types can already
be aliased through unions, but only when they're actually accessed
through unions. This could provide the language side of
http://cplusplus.github.io/LWG/lwg-active.html#2335.

Thoughts?

Jeffrey