[SG10] SD-6 document structure

From: Nelson, Clark <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 23:59:45 +0000
A year or so ago I mentioned that I thought it would be good idea for SD-6
to have an index of macro names. I haven't done anything about that yet, but
I haven't forgotten about it.

More recently, it seems to me that the document has gotten fairly
cumbersome. I'm starting to think that it would be helpful if all the
rationale (including examples) appeared in a separate HTML file from the
tables, even if it were logically considered part of the same document.

It seems to me it might also simplify the maintenance of the index if it
were in a separate HTML file.

Does anyone think the idea of splitting up the logical document into
separate physical documents would be particularly good or bad?

On a somewhat related topic, as an experiment I have introduced zero-width
spaces into some of the longer macro names. The idea was to try to get the
tables presented in a more reasonable width. OTOH, I'm afraid that will
tend to mess up searches for the macro names. OYAH, if we had an index,
impacting string searches would be less serious.

And here's another idea that has occurred to me. Today, in the rationale
section, I have HTML comments that name a paper's author, and the
contributor of whatever rationale or example we have. But it might be useful
to have that information available in the content of the document, so people
can easily find stuff that's relevant to them (without having to dig into
the HTML). To make that work would really require CSS tricks -- but the way
SD-6 is currently published on isocpp.org (i.e. wiki-like markdown), CSS
can't really be used. So even if we don't want to split up the document, we
might want to change the way SD-6 is hosted on isocpp.org.

Any thoughts?

Clark