Re: [SG10] Access to source for SG-10 document?

From: John Spicer <jhs_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:16:19 -0500
On Jan 10, 2014, at 3:09 PM, "Nelson, Clark" <clark.nelson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I was wondering if it would be possible to have a github project
>> for the SD-6 document from this group?
>
> That's a very good question, which I have been planning to discuss in
> Issaquah.
>
> In a lot of ways, we're in uncharted territory. Most standing documents are
> strictly administrative. This is the first one I know about that actually
> has technical content. Because of that, there needs to be a process in place
> to approve changes to it. So we don't want to make it *too* easy to modify.
>
> On the other hand, I don't think we want to take a committee vote every time
> we want to revise it. The membership of WG21 endorsed the approach, so as
> long as we stay consistent with that, we should generally be OK. I don't
> know, maybe changes should be approved by consensus of SG10 participants.
>
> The fact that it's now hosted on isocpp.org is also relevant. From a
> technological perspective, I don't know whether that helps us or hurts us.
> It's basically a wiki with an approved list of editors, and every member of
> the committee is expected to become an approved editor. (Of course there
> will be other approved editors as well.) I don't know whether it also has
> revision control features.
>
> That is substantially what I have been thinking about the question. Thanks
> for raising it on the reflector.

From a committee process point of view, I think a consensus of SG10 participants is probably a good way to go.

An addition to that could be asking that people proposing new features get input from SG10 about whether a new macro is needed, and if so what its name would be. That could then be included in the paper voted on by the committee so people would be exposed to the name and given an opportunity to comment.

From a technical point of view, it might be good to have it under version control (in github or elsewhere) and then updates would be copied to the isocpp web site.

John.